Friday, February 22, 2008

How I became "The Poolpatcher"

As anyone who has known me for any length of time knows, one of my early passions was treasure hunting with a metal detector. My dad gave me my first metal detector during the spring of 1980. My first time out with it I found a 1906 Indian Head penny and the hook was set. I would use that metal detector every chance I had...and I had plenty of chances!
After being transferred to Lake Station Indiana in 1987 I bought a underwater metal detector and began find rings, coins, keys, fishing lures and even a set of false teeth underwater. It seemed like the deeper I got (wading) the better things I found. I often thought "gee, if only I could get out in the deep water under the rafts and diving boards it would be great". So, on a whim, I decided to become SCUBA certified. One thing led to another and I eventually became a PADI Master Diver. Now, I had two passions!
One afternoon, I went into Lake County Divers Supply in Hobart Indiana just to get my tank refilled with air. While the staff was doing that, they received a call from a man who wanted to "rent a diver" to find a leak in swimming pool. They turned to me and asked if I was interested. At that time divers were making $45.00 per hour. I saw dollar signs and without any hesitation I agreed to meet him.

"Frank" was the owner of pool company in Hammond IN and we met at a pool that his company has recently built. After suiting up in all my gear and entering the pool, Frank told me what to look for and the most logical places. I found a hole in the liner in less than a minute. Frank cut patch, put some glue on it and handed it to me. The whole process took less than 5 minutes. When I got out of the pool, Frank said "thanks" and handed me a $100.00 bill. I was shocked. I told Frank if he ever needed another diver to please call me directly. I gave him my home phone number. The next day when I got home from work I had two messages from Frank...2 more leaks in 2 different pools. The day after that, another call, another repair. I was in business and it was all by accident! Every time Frank's secretary would call she would say "is this the poolpatcher"? The name has stuck with me.

I kept the business going for 20 years and reestablished it every time I was transferred by the Army. Finally, in 2007, Barbara said "enough is enough" and I gave the business away to a fellow diver...but I kept my name...THE POOLPATCHER

1 comment:

mbenn391 said...

Dave,
Good story -- keep it up. I check your page at least once a day.
Mike